As you can imagine, we've roasted many a turkey over the years. We have found this recipe to be our favorite go-to for simplicity and flavor. Enjoy!
Herbed Turkey Roast Ingredients:
1 Grass Roots Pasture-Raised Turkey
For the Herb Butter:
1 cup of fresh parsley, chopped
6 tsp fresh thyme, minced
3 tsp fresh sage, chopped
2 tsp fresh rosemary, minced
3 garlic cloves, minced
2 tsp lemon zest (2 lemons)
1 tsp salt
1 tsp black pepper
1 ½ tsp Dijon mustard
½ cup of olive oil
Herbed Turkey Roast Cooking Instructions:
Make the Herb Butter:
1. Process herbs, garlic lemon zest, salt and pepper in food processor until coarse (20 seconds). 2. Add mustard and olive oil and process until it forms a smooth paste.
Prep and Roast Turkey:
1. Brine your Grass Roots pasture-raised turkey using one of our techniques.
2. Remove from brine, rinse with cool water and pat inside and out dry with paper towel.
3. Place turkey breast side up on a wire baking rack on a rimmed baking sheet or roasting pan. Refrigerate uncovered in fridge for at least 30 minutes or up to 24 hours. The longer air drying period will produce a very crisp skin.
4.Heat oven to 425°F and line large V rack with heavy duty foil and poke lots of holes in the foil. If you don’t have a V rack you can use a wire baking rack and rimmed baking sheet, but you might have to drain the baking sheet a couple times as you bake the turkey.
5. Remove turkey from fridge and set breast side up on baking sheet. Using your hands, carefully loosen skin from breasts, thighs, and drumsticks. Then using fingers, rub 2 to 3 tsp of herb butter under skin of breast, thighs, and drumsticks.
6. Rub the rest of the herb butter inside the turkey cavity.
7. To roast turkey, place it breast side down in V rack on the roasting pan. Roast for 45 minutes.
8. Remove the turkey from the oven and decrease oven temperature to 325°F. Using paper towels, rotate turkey so breast is up. Return to the oven and roast 1 to 21/2 hours longer until the thickest part of the breast registers 160°F and thickest part of the thigh registers 170-175°F.
9. Remove turkey from oven and let rest for 30 minutes. Carve and serve.
Other turkey related recipes from GRFC: