These drumsticks have layers of palate-pleasing flavor — you'll taste the sweetness from the honey, the umami from the miso paste and soy sauce, and tangy citrus from the orange rind. Enjoy a variety of textures, too, from the sticky outside, to the tender chicken inside, and the crunch of sesame seeds on top and bok choy on the side. Super easy to make and delicious hot or at room temperature.
Preparation time: 15 min
Baking time: 35 min
Total time: 50 min
8 Grass Roots Pasture-Raised Chicken Drumsticks
3 tbsp honey
1 tbsp white miso paste
1 tbsp mirin
1/2 cup soy sauce
2 tbsp orange rind, finely grated
1 tbsp fresh ginger, peeled and finely grated
3 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
4 baby bok choy; washed and halved lengthwise
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 scallion, green part only, washed and julienned
2 tsp sesame seeds
1 red chili pepper, trimmed and thinly sliced
1. Preheat oven to 400°F.
2. In a small bowl combine the honey, miso paste, mirin, soy sauce, orange rind, ginger, and garlic. Place the drumsticks on a baking dish and pour the honey mixture on top. Toss the chicken until completely coated. Bake for 20 minutes.
3. Remove the baking dish from the oven and tuck the halved bok choy in between the chicken pieces. Drizzle the bok choy with olive oil and return baking dish to the oven. Bake for another 15 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.
4. Meanwhile, add the scallion to a bowl of ice water. Cover tightly with plastic wrap and set aside until ready to serve.
5. Remove cooked chicken and bok choy from the oven. Drain the curled scallion and gently pat dry.
6. Sprinkle sesame seeds, sliced chili, and scallions over the top of chicken and bok choy to serve.
Amount per serving
Total Fat 10.7g
Saturated Fat 2.2g
Total Carbohydrate 30.6g
Dietary Fiber 5.6g
Total Sugars 19.9g