The ultimate warmer for a chilly day, Osso Bucco's low and slow cooktime will fill your home with aromas that will make the waiting the hardest part. Our beef shanks have great marbling which will just melt into the pot and make all those vegetables in there extra delicious. Serve with risotto, polenta, or mashed potatoes - all perfect companions for capturing all those juices.
Makes 8 Servings
Preparation time: 15 min
Cooking time: 2 h
Total time: 2 h 15 min
4 Grass Roots grass-fed and finished Beef Shanks, trimmed and tied with twine to secure
1-1/2 tbsp kosher salt, divided
2 tsp freshly ground black pepper, divided
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 medium onion, peeled and cut into wedges
2 carrots, trimmed, peeled, and cut into large pieces
2 stalks celery, washed, trimmed, and cut into large pieces
1 tbsp fresh rosemary, chopped
1 tbsp fresh thyme, chopped
4 bay leaves
2 whole cloves
1 cup dry white wine
3 cups chicken stock
1. Preheat the oven to 325°F.
2. Season the beef shanks with 1 tbsp salt and 1 tsp pepper. Dredge in flour, shaking off any excess.
3. Heat the vegetable oil in a Dutch oven, or heavy oven-proof pot, over medium-high heat. Add the shanks and brown on all sides, about 10 minutes total. Transfer browned shanks to a plate.
4. Into the same pot, add the onion, carrots, and celery, and season with the remaining salt and pepper, cook for about 4 minutes. Add the rosemary, thyme, bay leaves, and cloves and cook for another minute, stirring to combine.
5. Add the shanks back into the pot and pour in the wine and chicken stock and bring to a simmer. Cover the pot and place in the oven to cook until the meat is tender, about 1 to 1 1/2 hours. Remove bay leaves before serving.
Amount per serving
Total Fat 31.1g
Saturated Fat 8.6g
Total Carbohydrate 8.3g
Dietary Fiber 1.5g
Total Sugars 1.9g