Citrus and pork are a great pairing, especially when you're cooking our pork steaks which are generously marbled and full of flavor. The acid from the oranges balances out the richness of the pork and, combined with soy and honey, you get a combination of bright, sweet, tangy, and umami flavors. It also makes for a beautiful presentation served family style.
Makes 4 Servings
Preparation time: 10 min
Cooking time: 30 min
Resting time: 30 min
Total time: 1 h 10 min
2 Grass Roots forested Pork Steaks
2 Valencia oranges
2 blood oranges
1/4 cup honey
1/2 cup soy sauce
2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
3 small onions, peeled and cut into wedges
2 fennel bulbs, cut into wedges
2 tsp kosher salt
1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
arugula, optional, for serving
1. Preheat the oven to 400°F.
2. Cut each orange in half. Cut one-half of each orange into slices. Juice the remaining 2 halves.
3. In a small bowl stir together the orange juices, honey, soy sauce, and garlic.
4. Place the pork in a sealable plastic bag or shallow bowl and pour in the marinade. Let marinate for at least 30 minutes.
5. Layer onions, fennel, and orange slices into a shallow roasting pan. Place pork on top and season with salt and pepper. Baste with marinade.
6. Roast for 25-30 minutes or until pork is cooked and onion and fennel are tender. If desired, serve over a bed of arugula.