WHAT YOU NEED
Dutch oven with a tight-fitting lid
1 gallon freezer bag or a reusable container
microplane, or another fine zester
Short ribs, about 2 lb
2 tsp salt
1 tsp fresh ground black pepper
1 tbsp olive oil
1.5 Pounds of Grass Roots Short ribs
2 plum tomatoes, quartered
1 tb balsamic vinegar
2 tb miso paste
1 tb soy sauce
1 cup beef or chicken stock
The white parts of 8 scallions
5 cloves of garlic, smashed
2 inch piece of peeled ginger
2 big carrots, peeled and rough chopped
6 or so small radish, cut into ¼
1 cup thin sliced scallions, the green parts
2 cup julienned snap peas
Big pinch of sea salt
1 ½ tb olive oil
Juice from half a lemon
Lemon wedges, other half of the same lemon
Straind cooking liquid from the roasting pan
For the most delicious results, season the short ribs the day before they're cooked..
- Open the short ribs and pat them dry with a paper towel.
- Place the short ribs on a tray, or plate large enough to season them without making a mess on your counter.
- Sprinkle them with salt and pepper and take a few minutes to rub the seasoning in all the nooks and crannies.
- Now place the short ribs in a freezer bag or a reusable container. Put them in the fridge until tomorrow when they will be cooked.
Before the short ribs are roasted we want to caramelize the outside. This will give the beef a much richer, and deeper flavor.
- Set the oven to 225°.
- Put your Dutch oven on the stovetop on medium heat and add the olive oil.
- When the oil begins to smoke lightly add the short ribs.
- Cook the ribs for 4 or 5 minutes on each side to get a nice amount of caramelization.
- Once the short ribs are dark brown on all side remove them from the dutch oven and add pour off the extra fat.
- Next add the tomatoes to the pot. Stir them around, with a wooden spoon, to loosen the caramelized meat bits.
- Remove the pan from heat and add the balsamic, miso paste, soy sauce, and stock. Give it a stir to break up the miso then add the scallions, garlic cloves, ginger, short ribs, and carrots.
- Make sure the whole short rib is coated in the sauce. Place the lid on the pot and put it in the oven for 6 ½ hours. The slow and low cook will break down the connective tissue and fat to make the ribs fall off the bone delicious.
- When you check the ribs they should be so soft you can stick a fork handle into them with little effort.
- Remove the ribs from the dutch oven and strain the sauce.
- Toss the radish, scallions, snap peas, sea salt, olive oil, and lemon juice in a large mixing bowl. Divide the vegetables amongst your plates.
- Place a few slices of short rib next to the salad and drizzle the beef with pan sauce.
- Zest fresh horseradish on top of the whole dish. Serve with a lemon wedge.