Grass Roots Bison Chili Recipe
(For 4 servings)
Prep time: 10 min
Cooking time: 1 h
Total time: 1 h 10 min
Can be frozen
1 tablespoon canola oil
1 1/4 lb. ground bison
1 small white onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 teaspoons ground cumin
2 teaspoons chili powder
2 teaspoons paprika
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes
1/2 (15 oz) can kidney beans, drained
1 1/2 cups beef stock, plus extra as needed
⅓ cup fresh or frozen corn, drained
2 tablespoons fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped
freshly ground black pepper
1. Heat oil in a Dutch oven set over moderate heat until hot. Add the ground bison and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Cook until well-browned, breaking it up with a wooden spoon, about 5 minutes.
2. Stir in the onion, garlic, and a pinch of salt; cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes.
3. Add the spices, stir well, and cook for a further 1 minute. Stir in the tomatoes (and their juice), kidney beans, and stock.
4. Bring to a rapid simmer over moderate heat. Once simmering, reduce the heat to medium-low and cook until the chili has thickened, stirring occasionally, 35-45 minutes. (If the chili dries out too much, add a splash more stock.)
5. When ready, stir in the corn and season to taste with salt and pepper. Ladle into bowls and garnish with chopped parsley.
protein (g): 40.6
carbs (g): 18.5
sugars (g): 4.0
fat (g): 26.6
sat. fat (g): 10