12 Jun Honey Lime Chicken Tacos with Strawberry Avocado Salsa
Tacos are one of the most versatile and approachable foods. There are a myriad of fillings for a taco: ground beef, pulled pork, grilled chicken, crispy fried shrimp—all can be good bases to begin building a tasty taco. For vegetarians there are lentils, beans, sautéed veggies and more.
And talk about easy, it’s no wonder “Taco Tuesday” has become a well-known, fast weeknight meal go-to for families and friends. If tacos were a person, they would be that one classmate you knew in high school that everybody liked and everybody wanted to be friends with—the boy or girl that got along with everyone and who always had a smile.
These honey-lime chicken tacos are sure to bring a smile to your face. Sweet honey pairs perfectly with the tart lime on the grilled chicken. I think the star of the show is really the salsa on top. When strawberries are in season I make a point to pick up a basket each weekend at the farmer’s market. The perfectly ripe, sweet, and juicy strawberries inspired me to create a different take on a typical salsa.
Whether thrown together for a weekend backyard barbecue with friends or prepped ahead of time for a quick and tasty weeknight meal, these honey lime chicken tacos are sure to please.
HONEY LIME CHICKEN TACOS WITH STRAWBERRY AVOCADO SALSA
Prep time: 6 hours-overnight
Cooking time: 30 minutes
Serves: six to eight
For the chicken:
- 2 pounds chicken breasts, cubed
juice from 2 limes
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup honey
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons fresh ginger, minced
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ¼ teaspoon. salt
For the salsa:
- 2 cups strawberries, chopped
- 1 ½ large avocados, chopped
- juice from one lime
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- Clean any excess fat off the chicken breasts and tcut into small 1 to 1 ½ inch cubes. Place the chicken cubes into a large plastic zipper storage bag. Combine the juice from two limes, olive oil, honey, brown sugar, fresh minced ginger, cumin and salt in a small bowl. Reserve 3 tablespoons of marinade to use when grilling chicken. Place remaining marinade in bag with chicken. Allow chicken pieces to marinate at least four hours, up to overnight.
- Before preparing the grill to cook the chicken, make the salsa at least 1 hour before making tacos to allow the flavors of the salsa to meld. Chop strawberries and avocados into small cubes and combine them in a medium bowl. Add juice from one lime, salt, and sugar and mix well. Place salsa back in refrigerator.
- When ready to cook chicken, heat grill to medium high. Place chicken cubes onto skewers for easier grilling. Add the skewers to the grill and cook for 2-3 minutes. Flip skewers to opposite side and baste them with reserved marinade. Cover and grill for 2-3 more minutes until chicken is cooked through. Remove strawberry salsa from fridge while waiting for chicken to rest for 5 minutes.
- To assemble tacos, add chicken to taco and top with salsa. Serve immediately. You can always make chicken and salsa separately and save for later time to have on hand for easy lunches or weeknight meal.