WHAT YOU NEED:
8 qt, or so, pot for pasta
1 pound package Grass Roots Italian sausage
2 lbs tomatoes, whatever is the freshest
1 lb box of rigatoni
1 cup reserved pasta cooking water
1 cup shaved parmesan
1½ cups fresh basil leaves
fresh ground peppercorn to taste
For the Vinaigrette:
4 garlic cloves, minced
½ cup Italian parsley leaves, finely chopped
¼ cup red onion, finely chopped
1 tbsp lemon zest, about 1 lemon
2½ tbsp lemon juice, use the same lemon
½ tbsp sea salt or kosher
½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- Start your grill and get it to 425° or so with a direct and indirect cooking area
- Start over the direct heat and grill the sausages till they are nice and browned on all sides, about 3-4 minutes. Move them to the indirect side and close the lid.
- Cook for about 8 min with the lid closed and they reach an internal temp of 160°. Now set them aside to cool.
- Cut the tomatoes in halves and grill, cut side down, until they start to char a bit. Flip and repeat. Set them aside to cool
- Chop the garlic, parsley, and red onion. Throw it in a large mixing bowl.
- Add lemon juice, zest, and salt.
- Drizzle all that with the olive oil and give it a toss.
- Cook the pasta to your preferred doneness.
- Rough chop or food process the tomatoes, add to the bowl, juice too.
- Slice the sausage and toss them in too.
- The pasta should be about ready, so drain it, and throw it in the bowl and give all of it a good toss.
- If the pasta isn't saucy enough add some pasta water. (not too much. 1 tbsp at a time!)
- Serve the pasta topped with fresh ground black pepper, parmesan, and basil leaves.