- 1 pound mild Italian sausage
- 2 tablespoons ghee (or duck fat or tallow for AIP), divided
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3/4 cup carrots, diced small (approx. 2 medium carrots)
- 3/4 cup celery, diced small (approx. 2 medium stalks)
- 3/4 cup yellow onion, diced small (approx. 1 small onion)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 gold potatoes, chopped (use rutabaga or sweet potato for Paleo/AIP)
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 4 cups bone broth or broth
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper (omit for AIP)
- Freshly chopped parsley for garnish (optional)
- 1 white sweet potato, peeled and chopped
- 3-4 cups filtered water, divided
- 1/4 cup unsweetened coconut yogurt (or may sub canned coconut cream)
Heat a stock pot or Dutch oven, over medium-high heat. Once hot, add in the sausage. Stir and chop the meat until you have sausage crumbles. Transfer to a plate and leave 1 tablespoon of grease in the pot. If there is no grease, add 1 tablespoon olive oil to the pot.
In the same pot with grease or olive oil, melt 1 tablespoon of the ghee/fat. Add the diced carrots, celery, and onion and sauté 5-7 minutes or until tender. Add garlic and sauté 30 seconds more.
Stir in the chopped potatoes, dried basil, dried parsley, salt, and pepper to taste, and 1 more tablespoon of ghee/fat. Mix well, and add in the broth. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, then reduce heat to medium, cover with lid and cook for 15-20 minutes or until the potatoes are fork-tender.
Meanwhile, boil the diced white sweet potato in 2 cups of water (or more to cover) until fork-tender, approximately 10-12 minutes. Drain and add it to a blender with ⅔ cup of water to start, and ¼ cup coconut yogurt. Blend until well-combined and smooth, it should yield 2 cups, if it’s too clumpy and not blending, add more water as needed.
Pour the cream sauce into the soup and stir. Reduce heat to low and return the sausage into the soup, stirring and letting everything meld for 30 seconds or so. Season to taste with salt and pepper and garnish as you’d like with fresh chopped parsley, serving right away!